On Jul 11, 2008, at 10:05 AM, Max Williams wrote:

> On our site, our resources have a description, which is often copied
> and
> pasted from somewhere else.  Often these descriptions have urls in
> them,
> just as normal text, and i'd like to automatically make these into
> working links.
>
> I was thinking of using gsub as below:
>
> def description_with_links
>  regex = ????
>  self.description.gsub(regex) {|url|"<a href=\'#{url}'>#{url}</a>"}
> end
>
> The above should work ok, once i have the regex but i can't work it
> out.
> Can anyone help?
>
> thanks
> max
> --

cfp:~ > cat bin/uris
#! /usr/bin/env ruby

require 'uri'; protocols = %w[http ftp]; while line = gets;
protocols.map{|pr| URI::extract(line, pr) }.flatten.compact.each{|uri|
puts uri }; end

cfp:~ > curl -s http://codeforpeople.com|uris
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd
http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml