On Jul 10, 2008, at 11:57 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> I'm not sure C++ is any less portable than C, especially if you
> consider the widespread use of the Gnu Compiler Collection.

my experience is that it really is.  a few years back a group i worked
for moved from c++ to java for one reason: portability.  the code they
wrote needed to run on machines all over the world and, despite the
fact that most pcs have good compilers there are still a lot of
servers and mainframes out there running scientific systems which do
not.  it actually came as a surprise to me at the time.

fyi.

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/
better. simply reflect on that.
h.h. the 14th dalai lama