I have two windows computers that return false when the following
statement is executed:

require 'socket'

Both computers are XP loaded with 1.8.6 via the one click installer.  On
one of the windows machines I am able to disable the firewall which
makes no difference.  The other windows machine does not have a local
fire wall.  I know that require is finding the file, because I get a
completely different message if I require something that doesn't exist.
I am wondering if this is an initialization error, or a false false.

I also have a Linux machine.  On my Linux Machine, the statement returns
true as expected.

What can I do to figure out what is causing this?

Thanks

Dave M