M3tr0 G33k wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Seems like rgplot2.2 is inactive - is this correct?
> I am used to gnuplot, so I went to it first when starting with Ruby.
> One problem - trying to replicate 'unset border'
>
> All of the 'set' actions in Gnuplot::Plot are listed individually.
> This means that to do 'set border <some args>' you do plot.border "<some
> args>".
>
> But to do 'unset border' you can't do plot.border "unset" because you
> get an error from gnuplot like 'set unset border ERROR'. This seems
> right for the way rgplot works, but how do you do 'unset border'?
>
> Should I give up and use R :?
>
> Thanks in advance, if anyone can help
>
> m3tr0g33k

Hello, Mr. G33k,

I use an interface[1] that doesn't attempt to turn gnuplot commands into
objects and methods--you just pipe commands to gnuplot. But it does
solve a number of other problems, like passing your data via tempfiles
to gnuplot and persisting windows, both Windows and X11. (Persisting
windows on X11 is kinda tricky[2] for gnuplot version <4.3--if you do it
wrong you end up with zombie processes, and the -persist option is not
acceptable since it disables mouse interaction.) No docs, but there are
some examples[3] that should explain how to use it.

[1] http://redshift.sourceforge.net/sci/

[2] http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/293549

[3] Simple example:

require 'sci/plot'
include Plot::PlotUtils

sin_graph, cos_graph = [], []

0.step(2*Math::PI, 0.01) do |x|
   sin_graph << [x, Math::sin(x)]
   cos_graph << [x, Math::cos(x)]
end

plot = gnuplot do |plot|
   plot.command %{set title "Plot example"}
   plot.command %{set xlabel "x"}
   plot.command %{set ylabel "y"}
   plot.add sin_graph, %{title "sin(x)" with lines}
   plot.add cos_graph, %{title "cos(x)" with lines}
   plot.add "sin(x) + 1", %{title "sin(x) + 1"}