> I was thinking about "Programming Ruby" but the reviews seem to suggest it's
> just a reference for language features. However, looking at the TOC it would
> appear to be also suitable as a first book on Ruby and it's only 400 pages.

With the library reference it's about 900p (3rd ed). The ruby part
alone is about 400p. I like it although *cough* some cross-references
could be slightly *cough* more precise in the pdf beta version. (But
maybe it's just me.) The 1st edition is freely available on the
internet but this refers to ruby 1.6. The 3rd edition is for ruby19.

"The Ruby Programming Language" is co-authored by the creator of ruby
himself. It has received some good reviews too. I haven't read it
though.