Hello all,

I am a C++ and Java developer and I would like to have a look at ruby in my
spare time.

I prefer reading a book to reading online docs (when possible) and I usually
get bored when the book/tutorial is too slow paced.
I was thinking about "Programming Ruby" but the reviews seem to suggest it's
just a reference for language features. However, looking at the TOC it would
appear to be also suitable as a first book on Ruby and it's only 400 pages.

What do you think?

Many years ago I bought "Learning Perl" only to realise a couple of days
later, when I finished the book, that I needed to buy already "Programming
Perl" as Learning Perl was a good introduction, but was very very limited.
Starting with Programming Perl would have not been ideal as it's a 1000+
pages reference book (but a wonderful read!). Maybe a "Learning Perl for
experienced programmers" would have been the best way to start.

So, I am a bit skeptic about buying "Learning Ruby" as I do not like to
spend money on a book that lasts me 2 days, on the other hand I do not want
to buy a book that is not suitable for people with not prior experience in
the language (even if they are experienced developers).

For now I am more interested in the language than in Rails, so I would try
and avoid Ruby on Rails books, but if you think the best introduction to
Ruby is a part of a Ruby on Rails book, then I would could consider one.

Thanks in advance,

Tommy

P.S. sorry if this is a FAQ, but new books come out every day anyway, so a
FAQ on this topic might get out of date soon...