phlip wrote:

> Your worksite has issues that prevent your executives from seeing which
> systems are working better than others. There's an old adage, "If I had 6
> hours to cut down a tree, I would spend the first 3 hours sharpening my
> ax".

I think they know RoR is better. But that's not their main argument. Their
main point is that what we use has not necessarily be the best tool for the
job, but it should be the same for everyone, so people can be moved from
one project to an other without switching from one Framework/language to
another. Even if it takes more strokes to cut the tree, at least it's the
same axe for everyone.
An since Java has to be used for some Projects because the client mandates
it, and since for .NET it's the same, RoR has to die.

BTW, I agree with you, I am just giving back what comes from management.

> At my day job we use pure XP with RoR. We use promiscuous pair
> programming, meaning we switch pairs every 2 hours. We use pure Test
> Driven Development, with refactoring & continuous integration. We have a
> very high velocity and a vanishing bug rate.

I think changing development process would be to much of a jump. What we do
is very old style: requirements analysis, design, implementation, testing.
If I propose pair programming i think they would not understand it, or not
be willing/prepared/ready for such a radical change.