S2 wrote:

> No. jruby will not be an option. If that was the case I would not look for
> some other job. I think we/they are going to use the Seam Framework, but
> it's still not sure. They asked me to join the team who gets to evaluate
> the various available frameworks, but every time I look at a hibernate
> config file I get goose-flesh.

You need to be able to explain to them just why you get "goose-flesh".

No doubt everyone on this list is automatically sympathetic to your
plight, but truth is that much of what we see as obvious about Ruby is
not so for others.

I don't see how anyone can expect people to just be instantly
enlightened about the value of using Ruby; folks need facts.*

If Ruby (with Rails or whatever) is the objectively better choice then
you should be able to demonstrate that.  There has to be something
tangible, something other than "I like it."

Get some stats, some code, some use cases, and build a solid case.  The
best argument tends to center on money.  Something that argues for
higher employee retention rate, or lowered training costs.  If you can
show that using Ruby means faster turnaround with fewer developers and
lower maintenance, that in the end Ruby == more profit than Java or
.Net, you should be OK.*

If you can't make that case, then why would you expect a business to
choose Ruby?

* Or not.  Some folks will have ulterior motives for choosing one tool
over another, but you should start be giving people the benefit of the
doubt.

--
James Britt

www.happycamperstudios.com   - Wicked Cool Coding