S2 wrote:

>> Were you using RoR with unit tests?
>
> no. everything was fine actually. apps where developed quickly, used "cool"
> ajax stuff that excited our clients and developers where quite happy.

You would have been faster and more ... assertive ... with unit tests.

Use assert_javascript to test Ajax.

Your Java and .NET offerings will limp far behind RoR's test abilities.

>>> Current RoR applications will be migrated to Java.
>> Was there a rationale?
>
> no.

You have a boss who is allowed to decree things without giving a rationale?

> probably. i think the main reason is that management does not want to have 3
> separate development lines (RoR, Java and .NET) for Web apps. I think they
> want to unify the development Frameworks/languages so they can relocate
> Staff from one project to an other without loosing to much "learn" time.

So, no pair programming, and they want to make knowledge transfer easier by
reducing the amount of knowledge required. Gotcha!