> A couple of additional details:
> I also solved the above problem in Ruby 184-17 under WinXP by
> installing
> ActiveState's ActiveTcl 8.4, but I had to copy these folders and
> files:
> - copy the folders 'tcl8.4' and 'tk8.4' from Tcl/lib to ruby/lib
> - copy tk84.dll from Tcl/bin to ruby/bin

I fixed the same problem by simply uninstalling ActiveTcl 8.5.x and
installing the last of the 8.4.x series.  Unlike above, I didn't have to
copy any folders or DLL's (at least not yet).

Thanks for helping me fix the problem, folks!  For others with this same
problem, start by ensuring you have ActiveTcl 8.4.x instead of 8.5.x
installed.