Jason Bornhoft wrote:
> Eric Hodel wrote:
>>> Yes, that would do it.  When you built ruby from scratch openssl was
>>> not
>>> on your system.  At that point ruby had no way of building the openssl
>>> extension so it would of course exclude it.
>>>
>>> If you are building ruby from scratch, then you must make sure that
>>> all
>>> the dependencies that ruby requires and for the extensions you want to
>>> build are already on the system.
>>
>> a) unpack and install ruby
>> b) notice that openssl extension is missing
>> c) install openssl libs + headers # you are here
>> d) make clean in ruby
>> e) make and install ruby
>>
>> should do it.
>>
>> the first time around ruby generated a do-nothing Makefile for the
>> openssl bindings.  make clean removes this empty makefile so that it
>> can be generated correctly.  If you still don't have openssl after
>> that, you'll need to tell configure where you installed it.
>
> Yeah its exactly as you say.  Here is the output from the mkmf.log:
>
> have_header: checking for openssl/ssl.h... -------------------- no
>
> "gcc -E -I. -I/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/i686-linux -I.  -g -O2  conftest.c
> -o con$
> In file included from /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h:179,
>                  from conftest.c:1:
> /usr/include/openssl/kssl.h:72:18: krb5.h: No such file or directory
> checked program was:
> /* begin */
> 1: #include <openssl/ssl.h>
> /* end */
>
> --------------------
>
> package configuration for openssl is not found
>
> Thank you for all your help!

Problem solved!  For anyone else with the same issue... here is what i
did:

install openssl:

    ./config --prefix=/usr/local --openssldir=/usr/local/ssl
    make
    make test
    make install  (as root)
    ./config shared --prefix=/usr/local --openssldir=/usr/local/ssl
    make clean
    make
    make install   (as root)
    cd /usr/local/ssl/lib
    cp * /usr/lib

To avoid getting the following error later when you compile OpenSSH:

    configure: error: Your OpenSSL headers do
    not match your library

copy all the SSL include files everywhere:

    cd /home/tjnelson/openssl/openssl-*
    cd include/openssl
    cp * /usr/include
    cp * /usr/local/ssl/include
    cp * /usr/local/ssl/include/openssl

and then add /usr/local/ssl/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and type

    ldconfig

Then i returned to ruby-*/ext/openssl and ran:

ruby extconf.rb
make clean
make
make install