Eric Hodel wrote:
>> Yes, that would do it.  When you built ruby from scratch openssl was
>> not
>> on your system.  At that point ruby had no way of building the openssl
>> extension so it would of course exclude it.
>>
>> If you are building ruby from scratch, then you must make sure that
>> all
>> the dependencies that ruby requires and for the extensions you want to
>> build are already on the system.
>
> a) unpack and install ruby
> b) notice that openssl extension is missing
> c) install openssl libs + headers # you are here
> d) make clean in ruby
> e) make and install ruby
>
> should do it.
>
> the first time around ruby generated a do-nothing Makefile for the
> openssl bindings.  make clean removes this empty makefile so that it
> can be generated correctly.  If you still don't have openssl after
> that, you'll need to tell configure where you installed it.

Yeah its exactly as you say.  Here is the output from the mkmf.log:

have_header: checking for openssl/ssl.h... -------------------- no

"gcc -E -I. -I/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/i686-linux -I.  -g -O2  conftest.c
-o con$
In file included from /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h:179,
                 from conftest.c:1:
/usr/include/openssl/kssl.h:72:18: krb5.h: No such file or directory
checked program was:
/* begin */
1: #include <openssl/ssl.h>
/* end */