I'm having a real problem understanding OptionParser -- the docs in
pickaxe are rather cryptic, Ruby Way doesn't even talk about it, and all
the Q&A I can find on the web doesn't clear it up for me.

I've gotten this far:

# test.rb ---------
require 'optparse'

commands = OptionParser.new
commands.on("-h", "--help")   # more or less, I get the .on stuff
commands.on("-e=RUN_ENV")

commands.parse(ARGV)

puts commands

# ---------

That will dump a display of the commands, but for the life of me, I
can't figure out how to determine which options were actually submitted.
And if the -e param was supplied, what's its value is.

I have seen:

  commands.parse(ARGV)
  commands.parse!(ARGV)
  options = commands.parse(ARGV)

So, confused by that to start with, then really confused by where the
parsed commands are, and what format they're in.

-- gw