I'm new to ruby, and trying to compile it on a variety of solaris, aix,
and irix releases.  I came across one minor problem on at least one of
our AIX boxes.  It has a <sys/cdefs.h>, but that file does *not* define
__BEGIN_DECLS or __END_DECLS.  Here is a minor patch which fixed the
errors when trying to compile ruby:

*** ext/digest/defs.h.orig	Thu Aug 16 03:35:42 2001
--- ext/digest/defs.h	Thu Jan  3 23:23:39 2002
***************
*** 10,16 ****

   #if defined(HAVE_SYS_CDEFS_H)
   # include <sys/cdefs.h>
! #else
   # define __BEGIN_DECLS
   # define __END_DECLS
   #endif
--- 10,17 ----

   #if defined(HAVE_SYS_CDEFS_H)
   # include <sys/cdefs.h>
! #endif
! #if !defined(__BEGIN_DECLS)
   # define __BEGIN_DECLS
   # define __END_DECLS
   #endif

[I haven't actually tried to compile this under irix yet, so I'm not
sure what I'll hit there.  I also hit some compile-time warnings when
I compiled it using 'cc' (not gcc) under solaris, but I should look
into those some more before offering any patches.  The ruby I built
does seem to *work* under Solaris, there were just some warnings
during compile-time]

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad / eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad / freebsd.org