Hi,

----Original Message-----
From: isambart / netcourrier.com [mailto:isambart / netcourrier.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 8 January 2002 11:20 PM
To: ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org
Subject: Problem with OpenGL for Ruby

>Hello,

>I am new using Ruby and I would like to use OpenGL for Ruby. I tried
>this week-end to compile and run this extension on Windows 2000 using
>Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 and Ruby-mswin32 1.6.6. I compiled without
>any problem the two DLLs but when I tried to run the example I had
>problems. The line 'require "opengl"' makes a segmentation fault. If I
>try to use only glut, when I run the line 'GLUT.DisplayFunc display',
>with display created with 'display = Proc.new { ... }' , I have the
>error that the parameter is not an object...
>So comeone could help me ?

I can build the opengl module from http://www2.giganet.net/~yoshi/
with Ruby mswin32 1.6.5, VC6.0, win2k like this:

F:\otherscode\ruby\thirdparty\opengl>vcvars32.bat
Setting environment for using Microsoft Visual C++ tools.
F:\otherscode\ruby\thirdparty\opengl>ruby extconf.rb
checking for () in -lopengl32... yes
checking for () in -lglu32... yes
creating Makefile
checking for XAllowDeviceEvents() in -lXi... no
checking for () in -lglut32... yes
creating Makefile

F:\otherscode\ruby\thirdparty\opengl>nmake

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility   Version 6.00.8168.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1988-1998. All rights reserved.

Now Making glut extend module

>>> snipped about 20 warnings and build info

   Creating library glut.lib and object glut.exp
Now Making opengl extend module

>>> snipped build info

   Creating library opengl.lib and object opengl.exp

F:\otherscode\ruby\thirdparty\opengl>

Then I copied the opengl.so and glut.so to my ruby installation:

E:\rubywin32\lib\ruby\site_ruby\1.6\i586-mswin32\

Most of the samples that come with the opengl module work.

Hope that helps,

Martin