On Jun 30, 2008, at 3:14 AM, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:

> I hope you mean "for this situation". Processes are definitely not
> the solution to all problems.

well, given that the difference between processes and threads is an
incredibly small one for any modern os, and given that threads are *at
least* 100 harder to write deterministic code for (as your bug reports
regarding exception handling and ruby illustrate) i'd hazard a guess
that processes are *almost* always the correct solution when robust
code is desired.  in otherwords i'd take the position that one should
always use processes unless the reason becomes clear to use threads
and, of course ,there are indeed reasons.  this is mostly a comment on
the limitations of programmers and not on platforms or languages,
nevertheless the incredible ease of IPC with ruby makes it even more
true imho.

cheers.

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/
better. simply reflect on that.