On Jun 26, 2008, at 10:33 AM, Joseph Wilk wrote:

> Anyone have any good ideas why a 32bit and 64bit machine would
> generate
> a different order on Dir[]?

it's determined by the underlying call to glob (man 3 glob).  in
general (under posix) the glob function sorts in ascending ASCII order
but this is not always going to be the same as alphabetical order so
any ruby code relying on this is bugged.  if the underlying glob
function does not return the results in ASCII sorted order in 64 bit
mode then i think it's a non-posix behaviour and possible a bug.

in any case it's entirely a non-ruby issue.

cheers.

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/
better. simply reflect on that.
h.h. the 14th dalai lama