On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 6:37 PM, Sam Ginko <ginkod / gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to replace all characters that are not letters numbers and
> white spaces in a string. I'm getting the characters eliminated in this
> case a comma but the white space is eliminated to. How do I get around
> that?
>

> string = 'john, tony'
> newTerms = string.gsub(/\W/, "")

I think this does what you want, provided underscores are OK.

    newTerms = string.gsub(/[^\w\s]/, "")

If underscores are not OK, then you'll need to change "\w" into "A-Za-z0-9".

Eric

====

LearnRuby.com offers Rails & Ruby HANDS-ON public & ON-SITE workshops.
 Please visit http://LearnRuby.com for all the details.