On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Glen Holcomb <damnbigman / gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Robert Klemme <shortcutter / googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 24.06.2008 18:01, Glen Holcomb wrote:
>>
>>> I posted to the Sequel Google Group but it's horribly slow, assuming it
>>> took
>>> my post.
>>>
>>> Does anyone on here know if it is possible to create a non-integer primary
>>> key in Sequel?  If so how?  Also help with creating a non integer foreign
>>> key would be great too.  I've done some poking through the Rdoc and some
>>> experimentation and it wants to make everything :integer or AUTOINCREMENT.
>>>

>> The docs seem to indicate that you can use arbitrary PK's:
>>
>> http://sequel.rubyforge.org/classes/Sequel/Schema/Generator.html#M000257
>>
>> So, if int is enforced there is a bug - either in your code or in Sequel's
>> code.
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>>        robert
>>

> Thanks for the input Robert.
>
> It turns out there is a rather vaguely documented :auto_increment => false
> that needed to be included in my primary_key definition.  Now I just need to
> figure out how to get foreign_keys to work.  The sequel-talk group seems to
> be working so I will continue this pursuit there.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> --
> "Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions speak
> so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."
>
> -Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

I don't want to hijack this thread, and people may be mad about me
saying this again.  Will you (that would be people in general and
doesn't include Greg as far as I can see) please stop using
auto_increment as a guarantee of uniqueness in a database/set?!  The
set theory should be handled in the db anyway, IMHO.

It's convenient, but think, for example, if you move a postresql db
schema to oracle, or vice versa, or even worse to SQLite (nothing
against you guys, I think you have a really cool product and am
looking forward to future updates).  Anyways, "Uh-oh."  "Price is
Right" ... buy another key so we can move on.  Silly.  This is how
mud/clay is added to structures because people think they are being
practical engineers.

Ruby is good stuff.  Let's use it in a good way!  Likewise, the
databases need to be used correctly.

Todd