n> Another solution is to call rb_clear_cache_by_id() when a
n> method is replaced.

 yes, but you clear the cache for all ID and not only for the ID and the
 class

n> Probably, new functions like rb_clear_cache_by_node() and
n> st_swap() might be effective.

 rb_clear_cache_by_id_and_class() ???

n> # I wonder the same problem can occur when any methods are
n> # replaced...

 One another problem is the new semantic of rb_define_class_xxx()

 In 1.6.5 it give always a new class, now it can re-use an old class (with
 its old methods). I hope that this will not break an old extension.

Guy Decoux