On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 5:13 PM, Robert Klemme
<shortcutter / googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 20 Jun., 16:29, Robert Dober <robert.do... / gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thank you both for your input, it showed me that in matter of fact my
>> concern about flexibility of the approach was a sign of misconception.
>>
>> What I really want to provide is not a framework but a toolset, I just
>> shall not care about how it is called, it shall just deliver a maximum
>> of value for a certain job to do, which happens to be text processing
>> (just short of parsing, I guess).
>>
>> My main problem however is to decide what I want to be done by
>> filtering text and what I want to be done by DSL-like template code
>> and how to make the two approaches work together.
>>
>> I guess I am off to the design board again, some rapid prototyping
>> might help too.
>
> Are there any particularities about the kind of text processing that
> you intend?  I can imagine a lot of different things from line based
> conversions and filtering, over regular expression manipulation to
> parsing of context free (or even sensitive) grammars.
>
> You might actually discover that the toolset you have in mind is
> actually Ruby's standard library because your requirements /
> processing options are too different.
>
> Kind regards
>
> robert

Robert you just gave me the "simple" answer to what I really want, and
you are absolutely right it is almost pure Ruby as it turns out to be
a DSL.

Here is a simple example

html do
   body do
     headline :level => 1, :text => "The Ultimate Solution To All
Problems AKA 42"
     table :headers => true, :text => <<-EOT  ### And this is the
point I missed until I tried to answer your mail :)
number meaning
  1      one
 42 yes
     EOT
     table :from_file => "some_cvs_file", :format => :cvs
etc.etc.

and now I have just to write lots of tests and do uninteresting work
like implementing them ;)
But I guess it will not be worth a project anymore, so many have
written that kind of DSL already.
And IIRC something like above is already implemented somewhere?

Cheers
Robert

--
http://ruby-smalltalk.blogspot.com/