On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 05:25:11AM +0900, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > Yes, you're right, I was just mimicing Debian's standard tools.  I
> > ordinarily use ``feta'', which is a front-end and works exactly like
> Ah.  Last time I used feta, it sucked.  A lot.  ^,^  I don't think I'll
> both with another apt front-end until a *really* nice GUI based on is
> available.

Either nice or ugly, being GUI would be enough to cut it out from the
game for me as far as I'm concerned. ;-)

> In any event, how difficult would it really be to get this RAA-apt thing
> up and running?  I'd imagine that the most difficult parts will be the
> actual packaging, and the installation.

I'm writing something just for the sake of seeing what is feasible.

So far I've studied some Debian maintainer docs and am trying to
replicate the process in pure Ruby, as the interpreter and standard
lib are the only things we can count on---that's also why I've jotted
down a small `make' clone: 22 lines, it gave me one of those ``Cool!''
moments. ;-)

However in case something really useful comes out of this, I don't
want to stomp on Ryan's feet and the Rubygems project.  Ryan, shall we
discuss this and see if code can eventually flow into the Rubygems
project?

> The packaging format could be really simple; perhaps just a tar.gz that
[...]
> I'd be interested in hacking suck a system together if I had the
> time...

Interesting, I started coding it because I felt like I was losing my
time just telling folks how things could be done. <veg>

Massimiliano