I wrote this little website spidering script using hawler (sudo gem
install --source http://spoofed.org/files/hawler/ hawler) and got it
working on windows xp pro.  I had to comment out some signal handling in
the gem code, but other than that, using it was uneventful.

Fast forward a few months - my xp laptop died and I purchased a new
macbook pro.  Now the script that ran on XP won't run on mac os.  I
haven't edited the gem files, as there was no need to remove the signal
handling.

Running on os x 10.5, I get the following error:

Connection to http://www.some-domain.com/ failed! -- getaddrinfo:
nodename nor servname provided, or not known

Not knowing where to start, I decided to run the gem's included tests.
But this time I get a different error, the following:

$ ./test/ts_all.rb
./test/ts_all.rb: line 3: syntax error near unexpected token `('
./test/ts_all.rb: line 3: `$:.unshift File.join(File.dirname(__FILE__),
"..", "lib")'

The contents of this file are:

# $Id: ts_all.rb 4 2008-03-02 04:47:09Z warchild $

$:.unshift File.join( File.dirname(__FILE__), "..", "test")
require 'ts_hawlee'
require 'ts_hawler'
require 'ts_hawlerhelper'

I've tried running it standing in the test directory as well - with the
same results.

Any suggestions for either the original or the test error?

Thanks!

Pauli