Btw, thanks in advance for any help - this community seems great!

I'm using the following line to try to remove objects from an array that
begin with .
     _array.each{|item| item.gsub(/^[\.][.]*/){|match|
_array.delete(match)}}

and although the match is functioning properly, the _array still
contains the values after being deleted. I've wondered if
Array.delete("param") actually returns the resulting array but that
doesnt seem to be the case. How do I go about actually altering the
state of the current array if the above is not done correctly?

Thanks for your help!