> in my experience Ruby serialport library for Windows is in most cases
> not usable. I suppose the problem is Ruby's implementation of threads
> (green threads) under Windows.

Someone was telling me the same thing yesterday in #ruby-lang.  He was
shocked that it was working at all with ruby 1.8.6.   Nevertheless, it
seems to be working today!  All I had to do was set a seemingly
arbitrary read_timeout value.  With the timeout, serialport.gets just
returns whatever was in the input buffer.

> For serial communication under windows I now use a RS-232/422/485
> connections over Ethernet (i.e. Ethernet to serial) - so from windows
> (Ruby) perspective I use TCP/IP communication which works fine.

Still,  I'm very interested in your solution.  Are you describing having
a cable with 8p8c on one end and dsub9 on the other, using ruby
networking lib to send the appropriate data?  Could you post a link to
some example code, or perhaps specify the relevant ruby-doc pages?

Thanks!  I appreciate your help!