Hi ruby friends!

I'm using the ruby serialport library. The OS is windows.

I'm sending command strings over serial to an epson projector. The
projector then interprets and executes the command and returns a string
based on the results.

The serial port is receiving my commands when I print them, but the
program hangs and crashes when I call gets, getc, or readline on the
serial port.  Example paste here:
http://rafb.net/p/GF6Ehz14.html

This isn't a problem for commands like PWR ON and PWR OFF, since I can
just run those blindly and assume success.  For commands like PWR? or
LAMP?, though, I need to see the return value.

The pastebin snippet isn't very comprehensive, but I have tried MANY
variations of gets, getc, readline, and with several different
(relevant, not random) record separators.

Any ideas why it is hanging and not returning a string?  FYI, it does
return a string when I access the projector from Hyperterminal or
telnet.

Thanks a lot!