------art_6549_28688319.1213627889015

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Michael Guterl <mguterl / gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Victor Reyes <victor.reyes / gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Team,
> >
> > Is there a good book exclusively devoted to Networking in Ruby?
> >
> > As I continue learning and struggling on my journey to become a Rubyst
> (is
> > it Rubist?), I noticed that my suffering could be lessen if I could put
> my
> > hands on a good Ruby book exclusively dedicated to networking.
> > Something like "Networking in Ruby" or "Ruby in a Networked World" or
> > something to that effect. That book would collect all the current
> knowledge
> > in network programming, as it relates to Ruby:
> >

> >   1. Sockets - This would describe all type of socket programming.
> >   2. HTTP with all its variations.
> >   3. Threads as it relates to Inter-Process Communications.
> >   4. NET
> >   5. SSL
> >   6. SSH
> >   7. FTP
> >   8. EventMachine
> >   9. GServer
> >   10. DB (DB2, Oracle, PostGres, MySql) communications.
> >   11. ...and everything else I missed here, which I bet is more than what
> >   listed here!
> >

> > To be successful and useful the book must go beyond what's covered on
> RDoc.
> > It should have myriads of examples for people that learn by example, like
> > I.
> > The book should also cover the major platforms *NIX, Mac, Wintel.
> > It should also cover networking on small devices such as cell phones,
> etc.
> > think all the info is already loosely available and it is just matter of
> > putting things together.
> >

> You might want to check out the Ruby Cookbook.  While it doesn't cover
> everything you mentioned, it does provide great examples for the areas it
> does cover.
>
> Michael Guterl

Michael,

You are correct. The book is large, but it only covers a minute number of
the items I mentioned. But it makes a reasonable reference.
Ruby Cookbook
By: Lucas Carlson & Leonard Richardson
Which has 23 chapters and around 823 pages.

I browsed the book on the web at:
http://books.google.com/books?id ­æ륲ydVMJvS&sig{mMXKRHnNQRlexm-Srsll-z-TY&hlprevtp://www.google.com/search%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3D%2522Ruby%2BCookbook%2522%26btnG%3DSearch&saoiint&cttle&cade-book-with-thumbnail#PPR17,M1

I just purchased the new book by Flannagan and Matz for reference. It is
actually a very nice book, which, of course is for documenting the Ruby
language. Therefore you will not find networking there.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Victor

------art_6549_28688319.1213627889015--