On 16 Jun 2008, at 07:26, Phil Cooper-king wrote:
> is there an effective way to encrypt data from the user?
>
> What I'm trying to do is to get ruby to send some information to a
> server, however I'd rather that it was secured somehow, to prevent the
> user from tampering with it.

Ruby ships with OpenSSL support as part of the Standard Library. Good
examples are somewhat hard to come by online but if you look at slides
40-42 of the Anchoring Trust presentation linked in my signature along
with page 709 of the 2nd edition Pickaxe you should be able to figure
out the basics.

There's also a RubyKaigi presentation from 2006 at http://dev.ctor.org/download/RubyKaigi2006_SAP_20060610.pdf
  but the text is Japanese and you'd need to be familiar with OpenSSL
to make much sense of it.

> is that possible due ruby being a interpreted language?

Yes. The OpenSSL library is a compiled extension so all the encryption
primitives are relatively fast.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains