<...>
> And for the semicolons making every line look ugly ... every sentence in
> english ends with a dot, except for those that end with a question or
> exclamation mark. Does that make the sentences ugly?

In English you do not write every sentence on the separate line, hence
the need to have something to mark the end of the sentence.
Same in Ruby, if you put several statements in one line you use semicolons
to separate them.

> A statement in a program is a sentence and a sentence should end with
> a marker, not fall off at the end of line unless I bend backwards.

Yep, it ends. That marker is newline. Pretty good choice - it marks the end
of the statement and does not bring any visual clutter. I like this a lot,
others may not like it, but they have a bunch of other languages to choose from.
<...>

Regards,
Rimantas
--