James Byrne wrote:
> In order to use git on my laptop (MS XPproSP3) I ended up installing the
> cygwin environment.  I tried MSysGit but it failed to run and the
> maintainer was, shall we say, less than enthusiastic with my bug report.
>
> Now, everything works from the standard windows dos box.  However, when
> I try and run a ruby utility such as gem, rake or rails from within the
> cygwin bash shell window then each gives the same style of error:
>
> $ which rails
> /cygdrive/c/usr/lib/ruby/bin/rails
> $ rails
> c:\usr\lib\ruby\bin\ruby.exe: No such file or directory --
> /cygdrive/c/usr/lib/r
> uby/bin/rails (LoadError)
> $
> $ which gem
> /cygdrive/c/usr/lib/ruby/bin/gem
> $ gem list
> c:\usr\lib\ruby\bin\ruby.exe: No such file or directory --
> /cygdrive/c/usr/lib/r
> uby/bin/gem (LoadError)
> $
> $ which rake
> /cygdrive/c/usr/lib/ruby/bin/rake
> $ rake
> c:\usr\lib\ruby\bin\ruby.exe: No such file or directory --
> /cygdrive/c/usr/lib/r
> uby/bin/rake (LoadError)
>
> I am not having this problem with anything else and so I am first asking
> for help here since I expect the cygwin people will turn me to this
> forum in the end in any case.
>
> Any insight anyone can provide me as to what is going on here would be
> most appreciated.

I'm not on my Cygwin system at the moment; I can check it later today
and give you a definitive answer. But it looks like your paths aren't
right. The Ruby executable itself in a Cygwin prompt should show up as
/usr/bin/ruby. If you type 'which ruby' from the prompt that's what you
should see. And the libraries should be in /usr/lib/ruby/... .

What I would recommend is uninstalling everything and reinstalling
rubygems from source. Then reinstall rails and its dependencies with
"gem install".