matz / ruby-lang.org (Yukihiro Matsumoto) wrote in message news:<1010361965.562920.6103.nullmailer / ev.netlab.jp>...
> Hi,
>
> In message "[ruby-talk:30347] How to convert character code to a String?"
>     on 02/01/06, Ryo Furue <furufuru / ccsr.u-tokyo.ac.jp> writes:
>
> |expect there's a straight forward way to obtain a String from a
> |character code.  If there's no built-in way, that's OK, and I'll
> |define a method like "char" above or add an method to the Fixnum
> |class.
>
> Fixnum#chr

Thank you, Kent and Matz!  Yes, I was missing something
(semi-)obvious.

As Kent said, it's Integer#chr.  Of course, Integer is a superclass of
Fixnum....  Just out of curiosity, this makes me wonder why it isn't
Fixnum#chr.  Is that because you envision a future where Ruby handles
four-byte characters (assuming a Fixnum is 31 bits or longer)?

Finally, a feeble excuse :-)  I didn't find #chr because I checked
Fixnum but not Integer.  This is the reason why I said
"(semi-)obvious".

BTW, I bought a copy of "Ruby in a Nutshell" today.  The book is a
nice handy reference.  I'm happy with it.

Thanks again,
Ryo