On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:57 AM, Simon Blanco <cowkiller123 / gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there, I was looking around for some beginners forum for ruby to
> share little portions of code and help each other with some mistakes on
> them, or trying to improve it.
>
> I've been playing around with ruby for the last 2 weeks and I've
> followed lots of guides and video tutorial, but when I tried to port
> some C++ codes to ruby just to practise a bit I found lots of problems
> with simple things as getting input data from the keyb. Finally I did:
>
> print "Type the first number: "
> STDOUT.flush
> a = gets.to_i
>
> print "Type the second number: "
> STDOUT.flush
> b = gets.to_i
>

> But it doesn't look too good to me, is there any more elegant way to get
> data? :D
> Anyway... I'm not sure if this is the right place for asking such
> things, so that's why I was asking for another specific beginners forum.
Welcome
As there is no beginners forum, this is indeed the right place to ask,
I also daresay that you will be well taken care of :)
Now concerning your code above, it is a reasonable approach, maybe you
could do some things a little bit differently

print "Type the fourtysecond number:"
$stdout.flush # if necessary and some of us prefer the global variable
to the constant, but I forgot why, LOL
b = Integer gets.strip   # This variation to using String#to_i might
be interesting, I show you in irb why

irb(main):003:0> Integer "42"
=> 42
irb(main):004:0> "42".to_i
=> 42
irb(main):005:0> puts "So far so good, but ;)"
So far so good, but ;)
=> nil
irb(main):006:0> "ade".to_i
=> 0
irb(main):007:0> Integer "ade"
ArgumentError: invalid value for Integer: "ade"
	from (irb):7:in `Integer'
	from (irb):7
	from :0
irb(main):008:0> puts "Is maybe a better behaviour, is it not?"
Is maybe a better behaviour, is it not?

HTH
Robert
--