Phil Tomson wrote:

> In article <3C358F70.2040807 / removejippii.fi>,
> vekkuli ketkutin  <qvyht / removejippii.fi> wrote:
>

>>Peter Hickman wrote:

>>>Too vague.
>>>
>>>If you were to say "I'm doing research into prime numbers" (like I am)
>>>then I would say the Ruby has better integer support than Perl and you
>>>should therefore use Ruby.
>>>
>>>If you were to say "I'm developing a site in mod_perl" then I would say
>>>that you should stick with Perl for the moment as the Apache support
>>>available in Perl is far superior the Ruby.
>>>
>>>If you were to say "I'm developing a missile guidance system" then I
>>>would say use ADA.
>>>
>>>All languages have their strong points, you need to mix and match the
>>>languages to the problems.
>>>
>>>Simple questions only lead to further questions (as it should be).
>>>

>>I saw this answer coming./ But being familiar with web, I always
>>look for things in very zen way, not defining too strictly what I want
>>to hear in beforehand.
>>
>>That would not drop some answers I might like to be interested in.
>>

>>Seriously:
>>
>>I need one solution for quick scripting, testing tool development,
>>and making programs for my hobbies. I love Perl (no, not her -the language!)
>>
>>but oop with it is really pain.
>>Ruby seems to have it in the way I want it, but I'm not familiar enough
>>with ruby yet to make my decision.
>>

> As someone who formerly liked Perl a lot but decided that OO in Perl was
> just too ugly - I would suggest that Ruby is an excellent choice (or
> maybe to put it the other way, you are an excellent candidate for Ruby :).
>
> I programmed primarily in Perl for about 6 years and even did a fair bit
> of OO perl before I decided that it was just too painful on the eyes ;-)
> I found out about Ruby about a year ago and withing a couple of weeks I
> felt more comfortable in Ruby than in Perl.  I think you'll find that
> coming from Perl you can be productive in Ruby after only a short time.
>

>>Perl is swiss army knife but I'm looking more finnish army knife.
>>Best I could get would be new perl version with full oo support
>>not doing:
>>
>>each(@ar){print;}
>>

> I think you mean :
> foreach(@ar){print;}
>

>>but
>>
>>ar.each.print()
>>

> How about:
> ar.each { |element| print element }
>

>>I should evaluate both but I 'm so lazy, you know
>>

> You should download Ruby and give it a try.  I suspect that you'll end up
> really liking it.  [But were you expecting to find  a different answer
> here? :) ]
>
> Phil

Sorry by thinking by newsgroups but
this has cleared many things in my mind.
Main prob seem to be that there's two levels
of doing things (with any lang):

-implementing things
-using things (someone else has implemented)

these two things should always be separated. Some
people only use some to implement.
VB is good example of the first one,
and Java and c/c++ and perl is good for the second
  way.
I want one language or one way (my favorite is
OOP) to handle both ways.

Until perl 6 is out i keep trying ruby
and keep perl.

Thanx,