Hi --

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008, Ryan Davis wrote:

> On Jun 10, 2008, at 05:01 , Robert Dober wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 9:16 AM, Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby / zenspider.com>
>> wrote:

>>> While probably true in this case, I think this statement is dangerously
>>> loaded... Your words have sway and affect design decisions. Sometimes
>>> class
>>> variables are exactly the right tool for the job:
>>>
>>> % find */dev/{lib,test} -name \*.rb | xargs grep -l @@ | wc -l
>>>    50
>>
>> May I suggest to trust David more than grep ;). I do not know of any
>> usecase where class variables are the *right* thing to use, but I am
>> eager to learn, so please enlighten me.
>
> that is a grep on MY code... I trust my code more than I trust your trust. :P

Also, I'm not saying that there are no uses for class variables. And
grep is our friend; it's how we demonstrate, for example, that
camelCase variable names are virtually unheard of :-) I'll stand by my
"in most cases", though, with regard to class variables.

David

   INTRO TO RAILS         June 9-12            Berlin
   ADVANCING WITH RAILS   June 16-19           Berlin
   ADVANCING WITH RAILS   July 21-24           Edison, NJ