On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 18:46:44 -0400, Mark Roseman wrote:

> Current, up-to-date tutorial documentation for Ruby Tk is very sparse,
> especially for newer features like the themed widgets.  I've been
> working on a website that I hope helps fill some of those gaps.  You can
> find it here:
>
>       http://www.tkdocs.com
>
> Please check it out, and in particular the tutorial, which covers the
> more modern "best practices" with using Tk.  It gives equal coverage to
> using Tk both from Tcl and from Ruby (you can turn either off of
> course), so you don't have to try to translate from Tcl-oriented
> documentation to figure out how to do things in Ruby.
>
> I hope some people here will find this helpful.  Any corrections,
> contributions or comments definitely appreciated!
>
> Thanks
> Mark

Yes, a very big thank you Mark for this very timely exposition.  I have
just recently started using Ruby after 16 years of Tcl/Tk and am finding
your tutorial and references invaluable.  The documentation has given me
a handle on a problem which has dogged me since Mandriva switched from
Tk8.5.0 to Tk8.5.1.  Tcl/Tk with legacy code works flawlessly but ruby-tk
now breaks down.  I used your examples to demonstrate that the ttk themed
widgets can be used without a problem but legacy widgets cause an
immediate core dump, in Linux at least.  So, is there anything extra that
needs to be done in ruby scripts to enable support for the old style
widgets?

Len