Thanks for the pointers!  I'm trying to avoid writing a temporary file
and then feeding that back to the command.

>def send_message message, netbiosname
>  IO.popen "smbclient -M #{netbiosname}", 'w' do |io|
>    message.each_line do |line|
>      io.write line
>    end
>  end
>  raise 'smbclient failed' unless $?.success?
>end

This works great.  My script is a caller id popup/logger on Linux.  I
thought I would add notifiers to the other systems on my KVM switch so I
don't have to switch back and forth to see if I need to pick up.  This
code runs inside a forked process which is then thrown away, so
redirecting all of $stdin wouldn't have been a problem, but this avoids
that issue, too.

I really appreciate your help!

Lester