On Jun 6, 3:57
> In addition to the sample generation code, here are some examples with
> output produced from the initial version of my solution. I *think* I
> have a good algorithm, but I haven't proven that it generates the
> optimal solution.

> Example B input:
> David: John Hank Evan Gail Walter
> Evan: David Hank Gail Walter John
> Gail: David John Walter Evan Hank
> Hank: Gail John Walter David Evan
> John: Hank David Evan Gail Walter
> Walter: Evan John Hank Gail David
>
> Example B output:
> David John
> Walter Evan
> Hank Gail

I think that scores 26.  A score of 18 is achievable (see below),
although I don't know if it's optimal.  With only 15 (I think)
potential partnership schemes when there are six people, it could be
verified, although I haven't done it.

David Evan
Hank John
Gail Walter

By the way, if there are n people, I believe the formula for the
number of partnership schemes is:

Eric

====

LearnRuby.com offers Rails & Ruby HANDS-ON public & ON-SITE
workshops.
   Ruby Fundamentals Wkshp          June 16-18     Ann Arbor, Mich.
   Ready for Rails Ruby Wkshp       June 23-24     Ann Arbor, Mich.
   Ruby on Rails Wkshp              June 25-27     Ann Arbor, Mich.
   Ruby Plus Rails Combo Wkshp      June 23-27     Ann Arbor, Mich
Please visit http://LearnRuby.com for all the details.