On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Leslie Viljoen <leslieviljoen / gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to try Ruby1.9 on some of my projects but I'm not sure how it
> gels with the existing
> Ruby install. How do I install gems for 1.9? Do most of the gems even
> work under 1.9?
> Specifically, I need ActionPack.

It can live alongside your 1.8 install. Configure with a program
suffix so the ruby executables are easily distinguished. For example,
./configure --program-suffix=1.9 will result in ruby1.9, irb1.9,
gem1.9 (RubyGems is bundled with 1.9)

make and install then `gem1.9 install whatever`. Most work fine with
1.9 with minor tweaks. Rails 2.1 is compatible.

Best,
jeremy