On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 12:03:05PM +0900, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> No, that's not true. I'm entirely sure it's not sufficient. I can think of
> many, many ways to crock this. You're counting on the remote keyserver
> being trustworthy (they aren't), DNS being trustworthy (it isn't), that the
> signing entity is trustworthy (they aren't), and that the source you're
> fetching is safe to use sight unseen (it isn't).

Sorry, I must be missing something or just be mad, because I installed
my Debian from scratch from the net.  If they can guarantee the
integrity of a distribution, moreover downloaded over http with no
notion of keys or such, I guess it should be possible to guarantee the
integrity of a code library, should it not?

> Yeah, these are all potential issues when installing any chunk of code from
> the net, but at least with a manual install you have a chance to check
> things out even if you choose not to. With automagic loading, you take all
> the potential checks out of the process.

``apt-get program-name'' does not give very much to check. ;-)

Massimiliano