Ryan Duryea wrote:

Well, I went and got some answers to my own questions!

> Is this a problem for those running the version of Ruby included with
> Mac OS X as well?

Sure seems like it.  Check this out:

% /usr/bin/ruby.orig -v
ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [universal-darwin9.0]

% /usr/bin/ruby.orig -r socket -e "TCPServer.open('localhost', 0)"
-e:1:in `initialize': getaddrinfo: nodename nor servname provided, or
not known (SocketError)
  from -e:1:in `open'
  from -e:1

> Does anyone know if/when this is going to be fixed?

Keep in mind that I have almost no experience with socket programming,
but I have submitted a patch for MacPorts under this ticket.  Use at
your own peril!  It seems to work for me, but your mileage may vary!

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/15528