On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Lyle Johnson <lyle / lylejohnson.name> wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2008, at 6:09 AM, Ron Fox wrote:
>
>> Stealing from  yourself is not plagiarism.
>
> No, but stealing from other authors' work is. So unless the authors of
> "Progamming Ruby" and "Ruby in a Nutshell" have approved this "reuse" of
> their work, there's a problem.

Yes, there's a problem - however, assuming this is actually edited
into a new coherent whole (I didn't see if there were new bits, it
looked familiar from many years back) there's also some amount of work
done.  Assuming the author is misguided rather than malicious, we
should applaud him for that work, even if he's using sources wrongly,
and then try to help him do things in a way that's more generally
accepted in a copyright-focused world.

Eivind.