Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't get to recompile ruby for some
time. I did it now with the latest 1.8.7, thanks to Nobuyoshi's hint.

The compile part worked out nicely, the resulting ruby bin/ dir took
about ~ +1.8 MB in size.
However there were two problems, and I played a bit with it inside
ext/Setup as Kyle suggested but to no real avail (uncommenting #openssl
and #fcntl and recompiling lead to some weird effect ruby was working
but the sizes inside the ruby bin/ dir were suddenly as small as the
shared versions...)

One problem was this here:

  ssl.rb:19:in `require': no such file to load -- fcntl

The other was OpenSSL related.

  openssl/ssl.rb:26: uninitialized constant OpenSSL::SSL::VERIFY_PEER

I am a bit at a loss now :)

Also, if I do a "ldd ruby" i get a lot of libraries listed.
But if i normally do a ldd on a static binary, like this

"ldd grep"

I get:

        not a dynamic executable

Appreciate more help, and thanks a lot for the pointers so far!