On Jun 1, 2008, at 06:53 AM, Michael T. Richter wrote:
> The gem servers at rubyforge and whoever hosts for ruby on rails  
> seem to be badly overloaded.  I get these broken pipe errors all the  
> time to the point that I wrap all uses of gem in "unless" blocks in  
> bash to make sure things actually go through.

I do not have this problem, and my usage of RubyGems with remote  
sources is excessive.  Today I installed 500 gems over the internet,  
55MB of gems and 1000 files during the afternoon Pacific Time, which  
should be some of the peak usage times for the RubyGems mirrors.

Even on crappy coffee-shop internet, or 40K/s send-my-packets-across- 
the-country EVDO internet-on-a-stick I never get Errno::EPIPE, so I  
think the problem is on your end of the internet, and not on the  
RubyForge or gem mirror end.

> What would help is if the --no-update-sources flag actually did  
> something.  Half the time the point of failure lies in updating the  
> local source cache from the remote site, but whether or not I  
> specify --no-update-sources the source cache is downloaded at  
> tremendous expense.  Sometimes it's downloaded multiple times in a  
> single invocation (if I install a lot of gems at the command line at  
> once).

This code has been replaced in trunk, trunk no longer performs updates  
of specs it doesn't need.