> No looking back to see if c was declared as an int, a char, or a
> float. Easier to keep track of what you and other people are doing.

Yeah some people consider it a 'feature' that you don't know what you're
dealing with, only that it quacks like a duck.  One thing you can do
[and no one does] is name your variables, like i_count i_number.
I'll just go ahead and say it, though.  when I look back at perl code
the first that strikes me is that it hurts my eyes to see all those $'s.

> --Community Support--
>
> There is no CRAN, and there are no Ruby Monks. That's not to say that
> Ruby doesn't have it's own module system (rubygems.org), but it's
> nowhere near as robust as CPAN. Likewise, I managed to find some folks
> to answer questions I had in irc, but Perl monks it is not.

Yeah Ruby just doesn't seem to have tons and tons of community.  Not
yet, at least.  Ex: developing core things, like the GC, or porting
things to mingw.  If you ever want to feel alone...
That being said for normal ruby stuff there's not tons of support but
you CAN just hack what exists and come up with acceptable solutions, and
submit a patch [and it usually doesn't hurt too bad].  Now that is nice.
Probably also possible in perl.  So they're similar :)
-R