On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 06:56:31AM +0900, Phil Tomson wrote:
> But why not just post the snippets to rubycookbook as it is now?  What is
> missing from the current rubycookbook format?

Just a personal opinion: lazyness.  I guess that, no matter how small
the contribution is, it still has to be evaluated, checked against
duplication, approved, cleaned, posted...  so it is likely that I
would only submit something once in a while (the mantainer being
grateful for that) and probably only what I deem useful in many cases.

Bureaucracy, even if in a mild form like this, won't help.  Not
because it's inherently bad, but because it inevitably keeps people
from contributing.  IMHO we should strive for a lightweight system
where one hasn't more to do than if he just put his files in a share
directory in a Napster-like service.  That's why I proposed an FTP
service with a personal dir where everyone can upload to his heart's
content.  Then we could go out and look for the best snippets
``officialize'' them, but still people will be able to peep into my
less than general code and I into theirs when we'll have less than
general needs.

Let us also wake up before we fall in the ``why not add this'' sleep
again.  I gather a similar idea was already proposed months ago, but
didn't bear fruits.  Let's hack it, let's keep it small, let's keep it
simple, but let's get going, and *then* start adding features.
Otherwise we're just going BigDesignUpFront with our pencils and
diagrams and not getting a thing done.

And if that last line did not catch your attention, I wonder what in
the world will. ;-)

Massimliano