Dear fellow programmers,

This is an invitation to join the Language of the Year project (LotY).

From the Language of the Year project website at
http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/loty:

       "Learn at least one new [programming] language every year.
       Different languages solve the same problems in different
       ways. By learning several different approaches, you can help
       broaden your thinking and avoid getting stuck in a rut."

		   --- The Pragmatic Programmer

     Rather than just reading the quote above and nodding vaguely, a
     couple of Ruby programmers, David Alan Black and Chad Fowler,
     came up with the idea of forming an online community to share in
     the process of learning new languages.  We're proud to host LotY
     on the Pragmatic Programmer web site.

  How to Participate

    The LotY community meets over on the "pragprog" Yahoo! group
    (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pragprog).  There we'll talk about
    progress, coordinate resources, and discuss the books we're
    reading. You can read and post messages through the Web or by
    email.  A couple of introductory messages have already been
    posted to the group.

    There's also a LotY IRC channel, #loty, on the Open Projects
    Network (irc.openprojects.net).

  LotY 2002

    This year's language is Haskell. We've chosen Haskell because it's
    a popular functional programming language, and we're interested in
    learning more about the functional programming paradigm. There are
    free implementations, online tutorials, and some good Haskell
    books.

  Contact

    Feel free to ask questions about LotY on the "pragprog" mailing
    list, or contact the organizers, David Alan Black
    (dblack / candle.superlink.net) and/or Chad Fowler
    (chadfowler / chadfowler.com) directly.