Patrick Aljord wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 10:59 PM, Michael W. Ryder
>> Where are you getting your $50 figure?  Sending a priority mail flat rate
>> envelope is about $13 for an item weighing up to 4 pounds.  Larger items
>> cost more of course, but a lot of books should fit in that rate. By the way,
>> that rate is about the same we pay .  If you are curious about the shipping
>> costs go to usps.com and select shipping.
>
> I doubt 7 ruby books enters in an envelope but anyway...
>
>> I don't know if there is anyone
>> in this group that would do this in this case but it is something to keep in
>> mind.
>>

> Get real, thousands if not millions of devs need those books, do you
> think it would be possible to find thousands or millions of westerners
> to send used copy for free? Why should we get out of our way anyway to
> respect US copyright laws when it's obvious that the US doesn't give a
> damn about other countries laws... Anyway this is off topic so I'll
> stop here for this thread, let's get back to ruby hacking :)

Its this attitude that prevents me and probably others from helping.
No, we can't send everyone in the world that would like a free book a
copy of our used ones, but that doesn't stop us from helping when we
can.  Your post reminds me of a news article I just read about Myanmar.
  They are complaining that they aren't receiving enough "free money"
for the cyclone victims after they told the world to leave them alone.