On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 7:59 AM, Dave Thomas <dave / pragprog.com> wrote:

> Indeed. According to the Peruvian economist Hernando de Soto, this general
> lack of property rights is one of the main limitations to economic growth in
> the region.

The non respect of copyrights is not what's limiting Latin America
growth, believe me (or google for it) they have way worse problems. I
know that the US is trying to push for DMCA-like and software patents
to other Latin American countries though the TLC and NAFTA but those
won't help at all if not make the situation worse.