7stud -- wrote:

> Based on all of the above, I recommend Python over Ruby.   Good luck.

I just wanted to add that I started with C++ and Java.  Unless you plan
on becoming a computer science student in college, I would not start
with C or C++.  It takes a lot of time to learn the language and if you
want to do much more than grind out calculations, it requires complex
programs.

On the other hand, python has a broad application and it allows you to
perform many tasks very easily.  For instance, in C++ to get the
contents of a web page and then print out some information contained
therein, you would have to be pretty good with C++, and then you would
have to learn a topic called sockets, which is quite difficult.  In the
end, your program would probably be 100+ lines of code and very error
prone.

In python, you can write that same program in less than 20 lines of
code.  The reason it's so easy in python is that expert programmers have
done that programming task many times in the past, and their code is
contained in the python libraries.  All you have to do is call a few
simple functions to get the benefit of all their hard work and
experience.  In C++, there are no equivalent libraries, so every
programmer who wants to get the contents of a web page and print out
some information contained therein has to reinvent the wheel and write
their own program from scratch.

python has a vast number of libraries that cover almost every subject
you can think of, and the code in the libraries was written by expert
programmers.  In python, you get access to their programs by calling a
few comparatively simple functions.  As a result, complex programming
tasks are reduced to a few lines of code.