On May 27, 2008, at 8:07 AM, Robert Dober wrote:

> I have never seen anybody plead for top posting

You're missing my point. No one would plead for top posting. What I
was referring to is the anti-toppers who tell people that bottom-
posting is the standard. It's not, as any casual observance of Usenet
posts would tell you.

> I have however very
> often seen people asking kindly or humorously to bottom post.

I actually haven't seen many kindly requests and I've certainly never
seen a humorous request. Generally, the message is "Why are you top-
posting?" which implies that it's not even necessary to explain why
that's so terrible. (This is basically the original meaning of the
phrase "begging the question.")

> If you prefer top posts that seems to be unlucky for you especially as
> you did not ask either kindly nor humorously.

This may be a language issue, Robert. I didn't ask anyone to do
anything.

> I however do not take any offense and I was not speaking for others
> but transmitting information gathered over the years.

I'll match my years against your years. :)

> Please go through the trouble of looking at the common posting scheme
> and what happens when somebody is top posting.

I don't know what you mean.

> Please note also that nobody ever has been agressed when kindly asking
> not to top post

Untrue.

> It however remains my intimate conviction that bottom posting is the
> accepted standard on this list

I'm curious - why do you think that? Is it because the anti-toppers
are the only ones who care deeply enough about the subject to speak
up? If so, it's a mistake to impute a standard from that behavior.
Again, using statistics as a guide, bottom-posting is not a standard -
except to those who believe it is. :)

> but if all of those who prefer top posting speak up, things might
> change.

I don't know of anyone who prefers top-posting.

Here are my preferences (and I don't generally ask people to follow
them):

1. Don't quote when it's not necessary. Most of the time, a very short
quote suffices.

2. If you're replying to individual points, then put your responses
with each point.

3. Otherwise, I couldn't care less what you do. :)

///ark